System requirements: nowadays PC can run PITRE without any problem. One suggestion is to have sufficient RAM size due to the sinogram generation method. Moreover, it is recommended to use 64-bit version (both for the OS and for PITRE) rather than 32-bit in case the PC RAM size is larger than 4 Gigabytes.
1. Install 32/64 bit IDL (version 7.1 or higher), which can be downloaded from Exelis Visual Information website after a simple registration, on windows XP (or newer version). The IDL Virtual Machine is included in the IDL installation file and does not require a license to run.
2. Download the PITRE installer (32/64 bit) and run it as Administrator; the installer will process the following actions on your PC:
- Extract PITRE files to default directory 'C:\PITRE\'
- Add 'C:\PITRE\lib\' to Windows system environment variable "Path". In this way, PITRE will locate and call automatically the external libraries, such as Gridrec and GraphicsMagick
- Request to reboot the PC, which is essential for the previous step to take effect
3. Reboot the PC.
4. Double click 'PITRE.sav' (or use IDL Virtual Machine to open it) to run the software.